Thursday 23 February 2012

I am a Drama Queen. (NOT!)



I recently was surprised when a friend of mine, whom I haven’t met since school, had called me (gasp!) a drama queen.

My reaction was Me? Drama queen? Nevaaairr!

And much to my amazement, he pointed out that even the use of the French accent ‘nevair’ screams of a drama queen. Hah! Nevaaaiiiir! Ooops!

So, what exactly is a drama queen, I ask you. And you’d say someone who thrives on making a mountain out of a molehill. Mmmm well, if you put it that way, maybe…just maybe…I AM a drama queen, and I am using this definition in the loosest of terms. So, let’s see what kind of behaviour that can be construed as an action of a drama queen.

Mmmm…drama queens love dramatic entrances! Arriving everywhere so late it’s not even considered fashionable, with an entourage of no less than 20, and demanding diva treatment, even if they are just having breakfast of roti telur and curry at the mamak stall. Well? Mmmm…sooo not like me! Like every normal person, it is nice when people look at you when you arrive, but far be it for me to turn it into an opportunity for a publicity stunt. In fact, I find it extremely creepy when people wouldn’t stop looking. Wouldn’t you too? It is uncomfortable, and makes me wonder if there’s something wrong with the way I look. Did I somehow leave home in different colour shoes? No. Have I got a bit of lunch stuck between my teeth? No. Is my panty line showing? Heck, no! I find women do this to me too, staring at me from across the table. So, please excuse me pretending to not see you staring at me while I’m trying to enjoy my dessert.

Drama queens love having a gazillion people in their social network – some even strangers they have never met in their life, and don’t know them from Adam. It doesn’t matter to drama queens who their audiences are, as long as they have an audience who would oooh and aaaah at the drama that unfolds in their lives. Now, I must admit, of late, I have been doing a bit of this myself, i.e. accepting friends’ requests from strangers, but only because they are my juniors at school, albeit juniors I have never met, but my juniors nonetheless. But those who know me also know that I am always trimming my friends’ list, much to the wrath of my many errr…victims. I mean, come on…it is so boring to have ‘friends’ who are ever so quiet and never have an opinion to share with others, and wouldn’t you find it creepy to know that these ever-so-quiet people, especially those you don’t know, trawl the walls of your social network? And I think my friends’ list editing is coming up in a couple of months. Call me a drama queen in this case. I’d gladly accept it.

What else do drama queens do? Splash their problems in their social network status. Granted, everyone is allowed to write whatever they want, it is after all ‘almost’ a free country, but there are things that should be kept out of these social network walls. For example, me being a person who has a love-hate relationship with food, I’d love to know what you have for breakfast/lunch/tea/dinner. If you could post pictures of these scrumptious foods, hey, I’d hate you for eating them, but I’d love drooling at the pics! I’d love you too if you post pictures of sexy shoes and gorgeous bags and your stylish new hairdo, heck, tag me in them so I wouldn’t miss a thing, but I reserve the right to not have to read about you breaking your nail while doing the dishes this morning, or your heart is broken for the umpteenth time in a span of a week, or your not-so-subtle clues that make us all wonder about what that excuse of a husband of yours has done to you. Me? I’d like to think my social posts are words of encouragement that inspire people, or funny ones that make people smile, at least, and yes, I try to keep the drama in my personal life only to myself. People might know my name, but they don’t know my story, and I’d like to keep it that way. Unless of course if you’re interested in what I have for breakfast or lunch, then I can talk allllllll day, my friend!

I once bought a t-shirt that says I hate Drama that has a big heart with crossbones on it, in a bright pink colour that screams look at me, look at me, I hate drama! And boy, I love that t-shirt. I thought I look cute in it! Hahaha! To be honest, I bought it as a joke because I have met too many people who thrive on drama. People close to me know that I have enough drama in my life – and most of which are NOT of my own doing, and I don’t need other people’s drama on top of what’s already on my plate. I don’t even watch drama on TV anymore - they are eerily similar to the drama I have to deal with on the personal front. I long for the days when all the drama is gone – kaput! Vanish into thin air! so that maybe I will have some kind of normalcy again. So, I think it’s the people around me who are giving me drama. I myself am no drama queen.

Please believe me! I implore you! :D

Comments are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. wow! a whole article just because the drama queen jibe... so drama queeny... HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple and entertaining piece... so UNLIKE the drama queen... huhuhuhu....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam AJ.
      Thank you for your comment on my brilliant article. [Can I still deny that I'm a drama queen?] :D

      Delete