Thursday 22 December 2011

Man, Sleeping (22nd February 2011)






I saw you sleeping like a child
On a grimy pavement one Saturday afternoon
In dirty clothes and black shoes
That had been everywhere
And certainly seen everything
Your half-eaten meal of curry and rice
Was lying open to the dogs and dust
I was sure an angel blew Slumber in your eyes
And whispered, “Sleep now, sleep here a while!”

At least you were sleeping so soundly
Leaving your worries for a moment
While you dreamed your dreams – big and small -
Oblivious of heeled feet
Hurrying around you, feeling so mixed.
Better you, sleeping so peacefully,
Than me, who had just forked a tidy sum
For a tuxedo so formal, for a gala so extravagant
And paid more than necessary for a big lunch
That I’d complained wasn’t even that nice.

At least your eyes weren’t open while you’re dreaming
But mine are closed, and I am not sleeping.



No comments:

Post a Comment